Smoked Corn-Shitake XO
Yield: 1.5 quarts
Shelf Life: 4 Days
2 oz dried shitake, rehydrated in 3 qts hot water 1 hour. (drain and slice thin, reserve liquid)
5 oz fresh shitake, thinly sliced
3 each large shallots, sliced thin julienne
8 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 each fresno chillies, rough brunoise
3 each ears fresh corn, smoked 1 hour then trim off kernels, milk cobs (reserve kernels and milk separately)
1 cup scallion whites, sliced thin
1 bunch fresh shiso leaves
1/2 cup scallion greens, sliced thin
2 cups blended oil for slow frying
1 oz-fl brown sugar
1 oz-fl tamari
1/4 cup Shaoxing wine
1 Tbsp vegan fish sauce
1 pint mushroom rehydrating water, reserved
1 tsp kochu karu chili flakes
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup rice vinegar, unseasoned
1/4 cup reserved frying oil, cooled to room temp
1. Prep and cut all vegetables and measure out all liquids before starting to cook anything.
2. Heat oil in a tall pot to 250 F (use tall pot as solid ingredients will cause oil to bubble up when added!) Maintain 220-250 F on oil throughout frying processes.
3. Slow fry fresh shitakes in oil until golden, stirring often. Reserve onto paper towel.
4. Slow fry shallots until lightly golden, stirring often. Reserve onto paper towel.
5. Slow fry scallion whites until lightly golden, stirring often. Reserve onto paper towel.
6. Slow fry garlic until lightly golden, stirring often. Reserve onto paper towel.
7. Slow fry chili until lightly golden, add shiso and quickly fry. Reserve onto paper towel.
8. Turn heat off on oil and cool to room temp. (Once cool, store excess in refrigerator for next batch.)
9. Heat a new pot and saute the corn kernels. Once sauteed add in ALL of the ingredients except for the reserved frying oil and sliced scallion greens.
10. Simmer until liquids have reduced by about half.
11. Once finished, adjust seasoning with salt and quickly cool to room temperature then place in walk-in to cool to 41 F or less.
12. Once cooled, fold in scallion greens and reserved frying oil.
13. Label, date, initial, store in refrigerator.